|Title:||Middle School Humanities Instructor (Leave Coverage)|
Title: Middle School Humanities Instructor (Leave Coverage) Classification: Exempt
Department: Middle School Status: Leave Coverage
Reports to: Head of Middle School Hired by: Head of Schools
Founded in Chicago in 1876, Sacred Heart Schools at Sheridan Road (Hardey Preparatory for Boys and Academy of the Sacred Heart for Girls) are independent, Catholic, single-gender elementary schools committed to academic excellence within the context of a Christian, faith-based community. The educational mission is deeply rooted in the 200-year tradition of the Society of the Sacred Heart and shared with the Network of Sacred Heart Schools located in 30 countries, including 22 schools in the United States. The essence of this tradition is the total development of each child: spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional and physical. Our girls and boys are taught in single-gender classrooms, but follow a similar curriculum and share in many activities. With a total enrollment of approximately 700 students, the schools are organized into three academic divisions each led by a division head.
Sacred Heart Schools is seeking a faculty member for a Middle School Humanities Instructor (Leave Coverage) whose chief responsibility will be to work within the scope of the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Education. As a member of the Middle School Faculty, this instructor will act as an advisor as well. This opportunity is for maternity leave coverage and would run from August 2019 - December 2019.
Essential Job Functions:
- Background and/or teaching experience in English Literature, Writing and United States History.
- Curriculum development and implementation, classroom management (including organization and appearance), student evaluation, grade reporting and parent communication
- Experience teaching literature and writing with contemporary models, e.g. 6 + 1 Trait Writing Model of Instruction and Assessment, Teachers College Reading & Writing Project, etc.
- Experience teaching history using a skills based curriculum with models, e.g, Reading Like a Historian (SHEG), etc.
- Experience with incorporating additional duties (i.e., playground supervision, lunchroom supervision, etc.)
- Have a working knowledge of the school technology programs, laptops, iPads, and software necessary for the implementation of the curriculum
- Maintaining clear, accurate, current classroom records including:
- Curriculum updates
- Lesson plans
- Assessments and rubrics
- Student Services Team referrals
- Advisory experience using Developmental Designs curriculum a plus
- Fulfilling other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Middle School which are subject to change at any time including to satisfy a reasonable accommodation or for other reasons.
Qualities and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree and Teaching Certificate required.
- Masters preferred. (Minimum Master’s degree in progress)
- 2-4 years of classroom teaching
Sacred Heart Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate