|Title:||Middle School Science Instructor (Leave Coverage)|
Title: Middle School Science Instructor (Leave Coverage) Classification: Exempt
Department: Middle School Status: Leave Coverage
Reports to: Head of Middle School Hired by: Head of Schools
Founded in Chicago in 1876, Sacred Heart Schools at Sheridan Road (Hardey Preparatory for Boys and Academy of the Sacred Heart for Girls) are independent, Catholic, single-sex elementary schools committed to academic excellence within the context of a Christian, faith-based community. The educational mission is deeply rooted in the 200-year tradition of the Society of the Sacred Heart and shared with the Network of Sacred Heart Schools located in 30 countries, including 22 schools in the United States. The essence of this tradition is the total development of each child: spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional and physical. Our girls and boys are taught in single-sex classrooms, but follow a similar curriculum and share in many activities. With a total enrollment of approximately 700 students, the schools are organized into three academic divisions each led by a division head.
Sacred Heart Schools is seeking a Middle School Science Instructor, whose chief responsibility will be to work within the scope of the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Education to teach Science within a differentiated classroom. As a member of the Middle School Faculty, this instructor will act as an advisor as well. This opportunity is for maternity leave coverage and would run from August 2019 - December 2019.
Essential Job functions
- Background and/or teaching experience in an integrated general science curriculum with focus on group and cooperative learning, wet labs, and hands on learning encompassing the following topics: life, physical and Earth sciences.
- Participation each fall with seventh grade students in the Space Academy Program in Huntsville Alabama
- Participating on Science Olympiad
- Curriculum development and implementation, classroom management (including organization and appearance), student evaluation, grade reporting and parent communication
- Experience with incorporating additional duties (i.e., playground supervision, lunchroom supervision, etc.)
- Have a working knowledge of the school technology program, laptops, and software necessary to the implementation of the curriculum
- Maintaining clear, accurate, up-to-date classroom records including:
- Curriculum updates
- Lesson plans
- Assessments and rubrics
- Student Services Team referrals
- Advisory experience a plus
- Fulfilling other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Middle School which are subject to change at any time including to satisfy a reasonable accommodation or for other reasons.
Qualities and Requirements
- Masters Degree required, or in progress
- Science endorsement and/or teaching experience
- 2-4 years of relevant classroom experience teaching 6-8 grade
Sacred Heart Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate