|Title:||Middle School Humanities 2017-18|
Sacred Heart Schools is seeking a faculty member for a Middle School Humanities Instructor whose chief responsibility will be to work within the scope of the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Education. As a member of the Middle School Faculty, this instructor will act as an advisor as well.
Founded in Chicago in 1876, Sacred Heart Schools at Sheridan Road (Hardey Preparatory for Boys and Academy of the Sacred Heart for Girls) are independent, Catholic, single-gender elementary schools committed to academic excellence within the context of a Christian, faith-based community. The educational mission is deeply rooted in the 200-year tradition of the Society of the Sacred Heart and shared with the Network of Sacred Heart Schools located in 30 countries, including 22 schools in the United States. The essence of this tradition is the total development of each child: spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional and physical. Our girls and boys are taught in single-gender classrooms, but follow a similar curriculum and share in many activities. With a total enrollment of approximately 700 students, the schools are organized into three academic divisions each led by a division head.
Qualifications for a successful candidate:
- Background and/or teaching experience in English Literature, Writing and United States History.
- Curriculum development and implementation, classroom management (including organization and appearance), student evaluation, grade reporting and parent communication
- Experience teaching literature and writing with contemporary models, e.g. 6 + 1 Trait Writing Model of Instruction and Assessment, Teachers College Reading & Writing Project, etc.
- Experience teaching history using a skills based curriculum with models, e.g, Reading Like a Historian (SHEG), etc.
- Experience with incorporating additional duties (i.e., playground supervision, lunchroom supervision, etc.)
- Have a working knowledge of the school technology programs, laptops, iPads, and software necessary for the implementation of the curriculum
- Maintaining clear, accurate, current classroom records including:
- Curriculum updates
- Lesson plans
- Assessments and rubrics
- Student Services Team referrals
- Advisory experience using Developmental Designs curriculum a plus
- Bachelors Degree and Teaching Certificate required.
- Masters preferred. (Minimum Masters degree in progress)
- 2-4 years of classroom teaching
Interested candidates should upload a cover letter and current résumé by May 5.